Norman Stockton was founded in 1909 when Mr. Norman Stockton, just a couple of years removed from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, bought into the Mock-Bagby clothing store. Located on Trade Street in Winston-Salem, Mock, Bagby, Stockton became Norman Stockton just a few years later and was known for selling quality suits, sport coats, hats and dress furnishings. In the early 1940’s Norman Stockton relocated from Trade Street to N. Cherry Street where it remained until 1985.
Norman’s son, Dick Stockton joined the company in 1954. As customers began moving to the suburbs in the early 1960’s, retailers were close behind. Dick Stockton was the driving force behind opening a second Norman Stockton, in 1965, in the Thruway Shopping Center expansion. In 1975, Norman Stockton opened a third Winston-Salem location as one of the original tenants in Hanes Mall. At the time, Hanes Mall was the largest mall between Washington D.C. and Atlanta, Georgia.
In 1982, Hill Stockton, Dick Stockton’s son, began working at the store. Together, in 1985, Dick and Hill Stockton merged all three Winston-Salem locations into one 9,000 square foot building at its current location, 249 S. Stratford Rd. Over the next 25 years Norman Stockton expanded to Greensboro and Chapel Hill. Today, Norman Stockton still occupies space at the Stratford Rd. location.
Fashion has gone through many iterations over the past 106 years. Through it all, Norman Stockton still embodies all the ideals that its founder held dear. Quality merchandise at a fair price with exemplary customer service.